Saturday, June 23, 2012

For Father's Day


I know that Father's Day was a few days ago, but you're not only allowed to honor fathers on one certain day! In this post I will talk only about my Daddio! 
I love you Dad!






Special Memory:

My little sister Julia and I were messing around in the bathroom one day, seeing who could slide the furthest on the slick floor that we had just cleaned, or simply dancing to the music blasting from our bedrooms. My dad came upstairs and by precedent we instantly thought we were in trouble. Instead in laughed with us in our game and joined in on the fun. He won the sliding contest and even taught us how to do the twist. My dad is an expert on the twist.

Lessons Learned:
My dad is a very wise and smart man, he has always been one in our family that we can go to, and learn a lot from. He has taught me that in life you should always be open minded to other people's ideas, views, and their cultures. Although our family is a Mormon family, I have always known my dad as reading books on other faiths. He wasn't wanting to convert, but simply wanting to know their beliefs, to better understand why, and what they believe. My dad's desire to learn about everything in this world, it has also given me a desire to know as much as I possibly can!

Love for Music:
If anyone knows my dad, they know that he LOVES his music! Music has become something that is a constant presence in our house. We have all come to love different types of genres, I am still getting hate for my new found country love (Country Rebel), but a lot of our love for music comes from our dad. He is a lover of old, classic rock! I won't be able to name all of his favorites because he has as many favorite bands as a ginger-head has freckles. But because of that love, we all now have a great passion for music, all types! 

How he is as a Father:
Dad is the one in our family who will be the most responsible when it's needed. If there is a crisis, he is the one who is always calm, and somehow always knows what to do. It is with him that we feel safe, that no matter the outcome, everything will be okay in the long run. On the other hand, Dad is one who has always been, and always will be a goofball! Out of the 7 of us kids, he is the one who will start dancing during the music of credits at the end of a movie. Whenever there are things going wrong in our life he will be able to show us how ridiculous we're being! I have come to my dad countless times in tears, he will listen, and give advice if needed, but more than not, he had me crying from laughter in the end. 

The Spiritual Side:
In our Church, we believe that a Mother and Father are both figures in a family that should take equal responsibilities, and always be able to balance one another in everything they do. My Dad has got that down to a T! He has always been able to be a great example for his sons in how to be a good priesthood holder and to show his daughters what we need to look for in a future husband. The spiritual testimony of my Dad has always been one to fill the entire house, even now at college in Idaho, I can still feel his strong testimony reaching me all the way out here. He is a spiritual giant in my eyes. 

4 comments:

Staci said...

what a tender moment this is wonderful!

Mark said...

Katy,

What a wonderful surprise to discover this touching tribute to your Daddio! I haven't checked your blog in months because there wasn't anything new on it for a very long time. This morning a client didn't show and so I had some free time to poke around the internet and discovered 4 new entries, including this one. You are so kind and loving to post these beautiful sentiments. You mentioned events that I had long forgotten about (e.g., the bathroom slip 'n' slide). I'll always treasure this blog entry. Thanks you again! And you're a VERY special daughter, too! Love, Dad

Barbara said...

Wonderful!! Now I have to sleep with a big head in the same bed.!! Lol! Really sweet, Sunshine!

Laura said...

haha I swear I have a picture with dad in kindergarten that looks just like that....I thought it was me at first!