Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ingrid Michealson-Jewish, Indie Artist, Lover of Ukuleles

Alright, time for another music post. This time however, it'll be only one artist, and it won't be country. Although I am still very much listening to that! Ingrid Michaelson is the kind of artist that you could call Indie-Pop (Indie meaning Independent). 
Miss Michaelson is one of my favorite artists from this genre of music, always making her listeners feel calm or relaxed. Course there are always those songs that are more for the broken-hearted, but those aren't the usual tears all over the place, let's eat tons of ice cream. Her message for women with a broken heart is more of strength and that with time you can bounce back even better than you ever were with that guy.
Now Ingrid wasn't always the singer that she is today. She actually started out as being a director of film! A degree in theater was her education and it was what she had always focused on. However in high school a teacher of hers had seen the potential of her as a singer. Training her throughout high school, singing then became a part of her life to remain with her for forever, obviously. After college she tried her hand at directing professionally, but soon gave that up, and returned to her love for singing. Thank Goodness!

Something that sets her apart from other artists, she has a group called Army of 3. However this band isn't quite the same as others, it's only Ingrid, playing every part of every song. She doesn't always perform songs like this, only when doing covers of other artists. I mean, she can't possibly do this kind of performance on a stage of one of her own songs! Let's just say that'd be a lot of running....yeah I know, bad joke. One of my recent favorites of her covers as the Army of 3 is Gotye's over played song, "Somebody that I used to Know". There's the link if you would like to see the original, but fair warning, the singer is....semi naked. Yeah let's go with that term. 


One of my Favorite Songs: The Way I am
I actually learned this song on guitar, but it's been over a year now, so I don't quite remember all of the chords, and finger placements. If I remember it again, I'll make a video and post it on here, maybe. Anyway, in this song she sings about how she's an average looking girl with average qualities. She can't really give anything to him, but the things she can give are special, she can love him unconditionally. Because he is about as average as she is :) I just love this song for its simplicity and funny lyrics. 


I hope that you have enjoyed what you have learned and maybe even gained a new favorite artist to play on your ipod. If you're not quite sure about Ingrid Michaelson, other similar artists are Sara Bareilles, Regina Spektor, She and Him, and many others that are just as amazing as her. 

2 comments:

Mark said...

Very interesting music, Katy. Which albums by her do you own?

Katy M said...

No, actually I don't own any of her albums. There's only one of her songs on my ipod, but I listen to her all the time on youtube.